Sunday, July 8, 2012

Commissioning


Well, it is official.  We stood in front of thousands of people at the 220th General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church (USA) and spoke our vows to serve as mission co-workers in Zambia.  We were asked if we would reflect the love of Jesus Christ in the world, seeking to show God's grace to all people, and to serve with humility and compassion.  We agreed to do these things, with the help of God. And one thing that occurs to me is that without a doubt, I will need the help of God.

I don't know how to do any of this work without faith that God can work in and through me. I know my own flaws and failures, my own imperfections, and sometimes, it seems far too overwhelming.  But then, I remember that God is bigger than I am - way bigger that I am - and God can use me, despite my glaring imperfections.  I am so grateful for that, so grateful to serve such a gracious God.

During the commissioning, Johnny, our 5 year old, fell asleep.  We were standing in front of the General Assembly, speaking our promises, and Johnny was completely crashed, sleeping over Joel's shoulder the whole time.  I am sure that Frankie and Johnny have no idea what they are getting in to, but we found it particularly hilarious that Johnny slept through the whole thing.  We have to trust that God can work in, and through, our children, as well, and that they will learn and grow in amazing ways in Zambia; sure, it will be a hard adjustment, but I can't wait to see how our kids are blessed through this experience.

After the commissioning, which took place on the 4th of July, we watched the Pittsburgh fireworks from the roof of the convention center.  It was beautiful, and as I watched, I realized that I will not be in the United States for the next fourth of July, and that it will probably be a long time before I am in the United States watching fireworks again. The kids had popsicles and talked about their favorite fireworks, and I thought about all the different ways we experience beauty.  Yes, the colors in the sky, the purple, red, and green sparks in the black night, were gorgeous.  But there are so many ways to see beauty, so many ways to experience God, and we are ready to go and encounter God in Zambia.  We are blessed with the opportunity to see God, to witness beauty, to experience love in another land, and I am so grateful.

While we are in Zambia, we will focus on holistic health, knowing that God cares for our minds, bodies, and souls, and working with the Zambian church to address issues of health and wholeness.  I am sure that I will grow, that I will experience healing, that I will move towards wholeness, because of this blessed opportunity.  I am so grateful for the experience of being commissioned, and deeply grateful to the God who works through, and sends, someone like me, imperfect as I am, but serving a perfect, loving, amazing God!


No comments:

Post a Comment