Monday, January 27, 2014

My Boys

The man showed me his grocery basket; a little meat, a few vegetables, some bread. “Can you help me?” he asked. “I just need twenty kwatcha.” I looked at the food, looked at the man, and pulled out my wallet. It was about four dollars. I handed the money over and continued to pick out groceries for our family. 

Frankie was standing next to me. “Mom, what did that man want?” 

“Just some money for food,” I responded.

“Oh, can I give it to him?” 

“I already did, sweetie.”

“But, I mean, can it come from my money?”

“How much money do you have?”

“Twenty kwatcha.”

“Well, sure, but then you will have no money at all. That is what I gave the man.”

“Okay, that’s fine.”

“Are you sure? Because if the money comes from you, you can’t just have it back.”

“I’m sure.”

“Okay, sweetheart. Then I will take the twenty kwatcha from your allowance.”

Two days later, we were at the boys’ school, where there is a snack shop. Johnny asked me for ten kwatcha of his own money, so that he could buy some chips. I handed it over. After Johnny walked away, I saw a bit of sadness on Frankie’s face. “I wish I had money. I want to buy a snack.”

“Sorry, honey. You know, you could ask your brother. He would probably buy you something.”

“No, that’s okay.”

We waited a few minutes, and Johnny came back carrying two bags of chips, one of them Frankie’s favorite. “Here,” he said, as he handed the bag to Frankie. “I bought these for you.”

Frankie hadn’t even asked, but Johnny decided to spend his own money to feed Frankie, just as Frankie decided to spend all of his money to feed a stranger. 

It happens with enormous frequency that I stand in awe of my children. I could easily give 20 kwatcha to that man. Four dollars is nothing to me. But for Frankie, it was everything. All his money. And somehow, Johnny just knew that his brother would love a bag of chips. And he fed him, without even being asked.

Even though I have lived here for a year and a half, I still haven’t really figured out the best approach to those who ask me for money on the street, in the store, at a restaurant. But, I guess, I just err on the side of offering something. Because I can, and because I want to be more like Frankie and Johnny. And maybe, a bit more like Jesus, too.


1 comment:

  1. Children do learn by example. Sharing and caring for brothers and sisters in the family of man. Such a lovely story. My sons who are adults also learned this way. My husband and I never pointed out what we do along the way but our sons saw. they learned, and they follow in our footsteps. As we saw them growing into concerned and caring young men, our hearts swelled with happiness. Their examples will show others how to live. It's a ripple effect that no one thinks about while they're doing something kind. The paying it forward is noticed and then acted upon by the next person. Such a wonderful way to live.

    ReplyDelete